Sunday 13 November 2011

Lawry's The Prime Rib - Slow Roasted Prime Rib

I had credit card vouchers for a 1-for-1 main course at Lawry's the Prime Rib located in Mandarin Gallery.  I've been waiting for an opportune moment to use the voucher, especially since a lot of my friends have raved about the delicious steaks at this place.  So I was incredibly delighted when my husband had a steak craving this weekend and therefore headed straight to Lawry's.


For starters, my husband and I each had the Lobster Tail (SGD 27.00 for 1 pc and SGD 52.00 for 2 pcs).  A simple steamed lobster with lemon butter sauce is always a hit for me, so this was right on the money. 
Lobster Tail (SGD 27.00)
At Lawry's, any order of prime rib comes with a serving of the famous Spinning Bowl Salad.  The waitress put on a nice show of spinning the dressing into the greens.  The salad had a very nice and refreshing flavor.  Given that I am not a  veggie fan, any time I am able to finish up a plate of salad should be a good sign of how good the dish is.
Our waitress preparing the famous spinning bowl salad
Spinning Bowl Salad (Comes with any order of prime rib)
There are several cuts available for the prime rib, and my husband and I decided on the Lawry's Cut (SGD 83.00) which as the name suggests is the most famous of the cuts.  This was a massive piece of meat weighing 270g.  The meat was incredibly juicy.  The whipped horseradish sauce served on the side really brings out the superb flavor of the meat.  Despite being a huge carnivore though, the Lawry's cut was too big for my appetite.  My husband and I had difficulty chugging down such large amounts of protein.  They have other smaller cuts available which I will try out in the future.  And what I realized was that unlike your typical steaks, since the meat is slow roasted whole, a smaller cut/ slice will still allow you to have the benefit of the juiciness of thicker cuts.
Chef carving out the Prime Rib
Lawry's Cut (SGD 83.00)
For dessert, my husband and I shared an order of Lawry's Crepe Suzette (SGD 29.00).  They prepare this fresh in front of you which to me always adds a nice touch.  The crepes were pretty good -- simple and tangy.  If you are not a fan of tangy/ sour dessert, then best to order something else.  I quite liked this and thought it was a nice way to end an otherwise very heavy meal.
Crepe Suzette being prepared fresh
Lawry's Crepe Suzette (SGD 29.00) -- split into two,
so the photo above is a half-order
Lawry's definitely lived up to our expectation, and the quality of the beef did not disappoint.  As mentioned, I suggest getting a smaller cut for those with not such massive appetites.  Next time I come back, I will either try the California Cut (small cut) or the English cut (3 thin slices a la yakiniku cut).  The price tag is not cheap for the prime rib, but definitely worth it for those looking for exceptional quality meat.

Lawry's The Prime Rib
333A Orchard Road
#04-01/31 Mandarin Gallery
Tel #: 6836 3333

No comments:

Post a Comment