Saturday 15 October 2011

Original Sin - Vegetarian Mediterranean (Restaurant Week Series)

Our second stop for Restaurant Week was Original Sin, a Vegetarian Mediterranean restaurant located in Chip Bee Gardens, Holland Village.  I had eaten here previously and enjoyed their ala carte menu.  I therefore wanted to have a go at their set menu for the week which was priced at SGD 35.00 per person.

For starters, my husband and I both had the Greek style cucumber, onion, Kalamata olives salad with crumbed feta cheese, served with lemon dressing and oregano.  Nothing too unique about this -- it tasted like typical garden salad save for the breaded cheese which was a nice touch.
Greek salad with crumbed feta cheese
I had the Main Course A: Spinach, feta and tofu patties coated with crushed almonds and sesame seeds, asparagus and a button mushroom plum sauce.  I had already tried this ala carte during my previous visit to Original Sin.  Unfortunately, it was not as good as I remembered.  The overall flavor was still good, but the tofu patty was a little soggy, so the texture of the patty had no contrast over the rest of the ingredients.
Spinach, feta and tofu patties
My husband had the Main Course B:  Egg tagliatelle, sautéed with Porcini and button mushrooms, onion, white wine, fresh thyme and a touch of cream, topped with shaved Parmesan.  This was just a typical cream pasta, and there was nothing spectacular about it.  It was a little tasteless too, and my husband had to ask for more parmesan cheese to add life to it.
Egg Tagliatelle, sautéed with Porcini and Button Mushrooms
For dessert I had the Dessert Choice A: Hazelnut chocolate cake with berries and vanilla ice cream.  This was a pretty decent dessert.  The hazelnut flavor and crust reminded me of Ferrero Rocher chocolates.
Hazelnut chocolate cake with berries and vanilla ice cream
My husband chose the Dessert Choice B: Home made apple crumble with vanilla ice cream.  This was alright as well, though nothing too spectacular.

Home made apple crumble with vanilla ice cream
Sad to say that the Restaurant Week set menu of Original Sin was not very impressive.  It was not the type of menu that would encourage first-time visitors to come back.  Too bad really because they have some pretty good ala carte dishes available.


Original Sin
43 Jalan Merah Saga
#01-62 Chip Bee Gardens
Tel #: 6475 5605

No comments:

Post a Comment