Saturday 3 September 2011

DB Bistro Moderne - French-American Food

DB Bistro Moderne is another celebrity chef restaurant at Marina Bay Sands.  "DB" stands for the restaurant owner Daniel Boulud who is a michelin-star rated French chef based in the US.  DB Bistro Moderne's concept is a casual French-American bistro.

We were a group of friends, and for starters we ordered the Seafood Platter (SGD 270.00) to share.  This was good for a whole battalion!  It came with assorted fresh seafood like oysters, lobster, crab, mussels, shrimp, and snails.  This dish was fine, but the seafood was not exactly the freshest I have come across so I felt it was too pricey for the quality.  It was presented very beautifully though in a  tub of ice.
Seafood Platter (SGD 270.00)
I also had the Heirloom Tomato Salad (SGD 26.00) as starter.  The dish had several types of tomatoes paired with goat cheese and some balsamic vinegar.  I normally love tomato and goat cheese, but I felt there was something missing in the dish.  Perhaps a sweeter dressing may have done the trick as the tomato-vinaigrette combination was a bit sour for my taste.
Heirloom Tomato Salad (SGD 26.00)
I heard that this restaurant is known for their burgers, so I could not help but order The Original DB Burger (SGD 38.00).  This was a sirloin burger filled with braised short ribs and foie gras.  The beef patty was extra juicy, so the meat definitely gets an A+ for me.  The taste of the foie gras was not as prominent as I had wanted, but it does provide a very soft texture and adds a bit more flavor to the burger.  Probably my only complaint is that the burger is too tall, so I had to eat it with a fork and knife.  Call me old fashioned, but I still believe burgers should be eaten by hand!
The Original DB Burger (SGD 38.00)
My friends ordered other dishes which they said were also very enjoyable.  Since I was too full from the appetizers and my meaty burger, I did not get to taste my friends' dishes anymore.  They had the Cauliflower Soup (SGD 15.00), Snail and Oyster Chicken Fricasse (SGD 24.00) and Traditional Coq Au Vin (SGD 34.00).   The Coq Au Vin is a braised chicken dish served with mushrooms onion and bacon.  
Cauliflower Soup (SGD 15.00)
Snail and Chicken Oyster Fricasse (SGD 24.00)
Traditional Coq Au Vin (SGD 34.00)
Photo Courtesy of Pocholo Ignacio -- I didn't have any decent photo of the dish from my camera
My husband had the Yellow Fin Tuna 'Ala Plancha' (SGD 36.00).  I had forgotten to take a photo of his order.  Unlike my friends, my husband thought his order was nothing spectacular.  He has tasted better seared tuna in other places, and he felt this did not live up to his expectation.


In summary I think most of our orders were fine.  For the price though I would have expected each dish to wow us, but I guess this is one of those restaurants where your satisfaction is dependent on how good you are at choosing your order.  I would still recommend this for those looking for good juicy gourmet burgers as I really enjoyed my burger.  The location is also quite convenient for those needing to grab a bite before going to the Marina Bay Sands Theatre.


DB Bistro Moderne
10 Bayfront Ave.
#B1-48 Marina Bay Sands
Tel #: 66888525

No comments:

Post a Comment